5.20.2007

Tough week for training but great 1/2 Marathon result

It ended up being a tough week for training. Work was exceedingly busy and this cut into my training time this week which was frustrating but the week ended well.

I managed to get a few swims, rides and runs in this week which culminated with the Capitol City Half Marathon today as planned. I had planned to test the legs today and see just what kind of run shape I'm really in under a controlled pace. Things went much better than I had expected. Going into the race I had expected to be able to run in the low 1:30's around 7:00/mile. I got out quicker than expected and felt great so I just went with it.

I ended up finishing in 1:27:51 with a 6:42/mile average and I still felt really good at the end which is really a positive heading into the Ironman in just 5 weeks!!! I ended up in 20th place overall and really felt great from miles 3 through 10 where I was picking off a large number of runners who went out a little too fast. I ended up giving back a couple spots in the last three miles. Mile 10 is a long uphill and this was my slowest mile at 7:04. I regrouped after this mile and closed out with a couple good miles including a final mile of 6:47.

Given my performance today I feel like I have a very good shot at averaging between 7:10 and 7:20/mile during the marathon in Ironman to be in the 3:10 to 3:15 range.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.