6.10.2007

Final Hard Week...Taper to race day begins





I finished off my last week of hard training this week and am feeling good heading into my final two weeks of taper before the race. Tapering is effectively reducing the amount and intensity of training to rest your body before the big day. I posted a picture from the Issaquah Tri last weekend.

This week I spent more time running and swimming than riding. I had some good swims and for the first time this year I had company for my morning swim with a number of other triathletes who were all getting ready for the Lake Stevens 1/2 Ironman in my private pool. It was nice to have company and see others training hard. I ended the week with roughly 45 miles of running and had a good 15 mile run on Saturday (although it was very wet) with a very comfortable 7:00 min/mile average.

I headed out Sunday morning with expectations to ride about 70 miles but got two flat tires in the first 12 miles so I decided that my biking mojo wasn't happening and headed for home (not too mention that I had no more spare tires). Both flats came when riding over broken glass. I'm not sure why people feel compelled to throw their empty bottles out the windows of the cars but judging by the amount of glass on the roadway there are either a lot of inconsiderate people out there or a lot of people drinking and driving. In the end it's really disappointing and a major bummer for cyclists.
I debated heading out for a late afternoon ride but decided to start my taper early.
I'm sure the next two weeks are going to be very tough mentally trying to fight the urge to train. I'm sure there will be some posts which will probably focus more on the mental aspects and look forward to photo's posted from Coeur D'Alene the week after next.






No comments: