9.13.2007

Grand Columbian Half Prep

Just two days out from the Grand Columbia 1/2 Ironman. This wil be my second go at this race. This was my first 1/2 ironman a year ago when I finished in 5:35 with an ok swim, strong bike and a complete meltdown on the run.

I've been feeling pretty good until this week when I strained my calf. I've been off the leg since Tuesday. It's feeling better but I still don't know if I'll be good to go on Saturday. The swim and bike should be fine but the run is in question, it'll be a game time decision, I figure I'll start and see how if feels after the bike.

The weather is looking good with forecasted sunny skies, relatively light winds and highs around 80 degrees. It may be a little surreal as there are several forest fires in the area which has a the sky looking a little hazy. Early reports from Grand Coulee is that while you can smell a little smoke but it isn't affecting anyones breathing.

On a separate note I've signed up a coach to help me reach my goal of qualifying for Kona next year. So I'm looking forward to having Shawn Skene from Alberta, Canada. Shawn has lots of experience and coaches with Peter Reid and he's got an old school training methodology which is basically swim, bike and run long and hard. I think we'll get along just fine.
.
I'll be posting my results from this weekend which I'm hoping is a top 10 finish.

No comments: